One of our favorite fun projects to do on our homestead in the Winter and the Spring is planning what to grow for the new growing season! After many weeks of deliberations, we have finalized what we are going to grow in our 2021 Spring garden! Check out our list below.
Root vegetables are such a staple in our house! We are especially looking forward to growing the Bull’s Blood Beet. The leaves are a beautiful dark purple which will be perfect for salads, stir-fries, and juice.
- Bull’s Blood Beet
- New Kuroda Carrot
- Uzbek Golden Carrot
- Yellow Sweet Spanish Onion
- Easter Egg Blend Radish Seeds
Lettuce & Greens
Greens are such an important thing to grow. The variety of meals you can make with lettuce and greens are almost endless! We love them in salad, stir-fries, and tacos! We can’t wait to try the Parris Island Cos Lettuce for salad bowls and the Russian Kale for Asian stir-fries.
Vegetables And Peppers
These varieties of vegetables are getting us really excited for harvest time from the Rio Grande Verde Tomatillos for Salsa Verde to the unique Yod Fah Chinese Broccoli that we plan to serve with grilled chicken!
- Waltham 29 Broccoli
- Zucchini Black Beauty Squash
- Muncher Cucumber
- Yod Fah Chinese Broccoli
- Kabocha Squash
- Rio Grande Verde Tomatillo
- Jalapeno, Tam Pepper
- Orange Bell Pepper
- Ancho/Poblano Chile Pepper
- Cantare Bean
Seasonings & Cooking Herbs
These are our top favorite seasonings we use the most in our house. The Cilantro and Scallions are what makes our signature ramen taste so good, and Cumin is essential for delicious enchilada sauce!
- White Lisbon Bunching/Scallion Onion
- Parsley (included in the Bring Home the Butterflies Flower Mix)
- Dill (saved seeds from last year)
- Long Standing Cilantro/Coriander
We are super excited to be growing beans this year! It will be especially fun to grow chickpeas because our state, Idaho, is known for chickpeas!
- Bean, Mayocoba Bush (Phaseolus vulgaris)
- Bean, Madiera Maroon (Phaseolus vulgaris)
- Chickpea, Moroccan (Cicer arietinum)
Nothing beats drinking a cup of tea, hot or iced! We are very happy to start growing three different types of herbal tea.
- Mint, Peppermint (Mentha piperita)
- Lemon Mint (included in the Bring Home the Butterflies Flower Mix)
- German Chamomile
As a big family that uses herbs for health and medicinal purposes, having a big herbal garden is a must this year! One of the best things about our herbs this year is that they all look so pretty! We ordered most of our medical herbs from Strictly Medicinal Seeds.
- Stinging Nettle
- Elecampane (Inula helenium)
- Artemisia annua (Qing-hao, Sweet Annie)
- Echinacea purpurea
- Evening Primrose (Oenothera biennis)
- Lobelia, Official (Lobelia inflata)
- Marshmallow (Althaea officinalis)
- Motherwort, Official (Leonurus cardiaca)
- Black Cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa)
- Borage (Borago officinalis)
We are also growing beautiful flowers this year to make gorgeous bouquets!
- Bring Home the Butterflies Flower Mix
- Johnny-Jump-Up Viola
- Zeolights Calendula (Pot Marigold)
- Multi-Colored Zinnia
What are you growing in your garden this year? Tell us in the comments below.