Imagine this scenario... It's Saturday afternoon, and you have been cleaning the house all morning. Where has the time gone?! It's 11:45 pm and you have a lunch date with a friend in 15 minutes!! As you are walking out the door, you realize that you are wearing your favorite t-shirt and some jeans. You don't have time to put a whole new outfit together. You are gonna have to somehow rescue THIS outfit! Don't panic. We got you covered, here is what you do...
HOW TO QUICKLY DRESS UP A T-SHIRT AND JEANS
- Layer! Add a chic jacket to add instant polish to your outfit.
- Upgrade! Put away the sneakers and flip-flops! Upgrade to some cute flats, sandals, heels or boots.
- Accessorize! Dress up your outfit up with a few well-chosen accessories.
You will need the following items:
- Black blazer or cardigan
- Your favorite t-shirt
- Medium blue jeans
- Cozy chic shoes
- One of your favorite accessories
The Dos & Don'ts for T-shirts & Jeans
- Don't wear a slouchy jacket. The jacket needs to be tailored and structured. You are using this piece to add a little class to the outfit. Save that loose-fitting jacket for another outfit.
- You do need to think about the color of your jeans. Dark navy or black jeans can be more dressy and light blue denim can make a professional black blazer a little edgy.
- Don't wear dirty denim! A grungy jeans jacket isn't going to dress up anything! You might be able to get away with a rip in the knee of your jeans, but the only place dirty denim belongs is in the washing machine.
- You do need to wear at least little make-up for a polished look. Start with a quick swipe of mineral power foundation and then finish with some mascara, blush and lipstick. With a little practice, you will be able to do this ultra quick makeover in just a few minutes.
- Don't forget to add a few accessories! Add some earrings, a ring, a bracelet or a purse that compliments the color of the t-shirt. You can also add a statement scarf or necklace if the t-shirt is a solid color.
- You do need to fix your hair. Use your hair as an accessory. Pull it up into a cute little top knot bun or some other equally chic hairstyle. If you are having a bad hair day, you can always throw on a cute black hat.
- You do need to wear your best accessories! Adding a gorgeous purse and super cute flats is an easy way to elevate jeans and a t-shirt.
What if you are not just wearing a plain old t-shirt, but your favorite superhero t-shirt? Don't hide it! This is a perfect opportunity to show off a little of your personal unique chic style!
TIP: If you are wearing a graphic t-shirt, you should skip the necklace or scarf. Stick with cute earrings, bracelets and rings to accessorize your outfit.
So what are your favorite accessories to dress up your t-shirt and jeans? Tell me on Instagram, @janetdefield!